Monday, November 24, 2014

#FutureReady Superintendents' Summit

On Wednesday, November 19, 2014, I was invited to participate in the US Department of Education's #FutureReady Summit as part of President Obama's "ConnectED to the Future" initiative.  It was an honor and a privilege to participate in the summit at the Whitehouse.  I learned a great deal from my fellow superintendents who were present, and I left excited by the vision and support from the US Department of Education's Office of Educational Technology.

Part of the day included remarks by President Obama, which included a ceremonial signing of the #FutureReady Pledge by more than 100 superintendents who were present (watch the President's remarks).  Below is the digital copy of the pledge that signed at the Whitehouse.


The President assigned all of the superintendents homework.  We are expected to take the seven concepts contained in the pledge and create a personal action plan.  My approach to this homework will be to engage students, families, and members of the community to create a shared vision of what it means to be #FutureReady for USD116 students, educators, families, and community.

During the next two to three months, I will be starting to gather information and engage with a variety of groups to get their ideas and input.  I will also be posting updates specifically related to educational technology and my #FutureReady vision for USD116.  I encourage you to join the discussion by emailing me, following me on Twitter (@dowendo), and following my blog.

DDO